If you become a hardcore world builder, at some point or another you’re going to wind up needing Super CAW. Read this article to learn more about what it is, where you can download it and how you can use it.
What is SuperCAW?
SuperCAW is an enhanced version of CAW that comes with additional world objects, spawners and effects. Why is it so helpful? Well, if you noticed, CAW doesn’t have everything from the Sims in Metadata. For example, there’s no way to add lighting to your lighthouse because the special fx for it is isn’t available. With SuperCAW, you can not not only add that fx, but other cool items that are missing from CAW.
Another great thing about SuperCAW is that it allows you to “tag” worlds. What do I mean by “tagging?” Well, there are several types of worlds in TS3 that behave differently based on their category. For example, Bridgeport is a “Downtown” world. Because it’s a Downtown world, it spawns food trucks but doesn’t spawn wildlife. Sunset Valley is a “Base” world and spawns wildlife but does not trigger food trucks. Additional categories are: Vacation, Future and University. So, if you want your town to behave like the towns from World Adventures, University and Into the Future, SuperCAW is what you would use to tag it.
How to Download and Run Super Caw
Getting and using SuperCAW is pretty straightforward. However, there’s a lot of information out there about how to access it that can be a bit confusing for newbies. So here’s a basic guide of how to get, install and run it:
- Go to Mod the Sims and click on one of the download links in the purple section. Make sure you choose the correct version of SuperCAW for your game’s patch level (1.67 or 1.69).
- Save the file to your hard drive.
- Next, extract the file using an archiver.
- You will see a file labeled WorldBuilderCS.exe. Move this file to C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create a World Tool. It has to be placed in this folder. Otherwise, it won’t work.
- Click on the WorldBuilderCS.exe file. Depending on how your system is set up, you might get a warning box that says, “The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?” Click “Run.” And voila–SuperCAW will now open!
Huh? But It Looks the Same!
When you first open SuperCAW, at first you’ll wonder what the difference is between it and CAW because it’ll look exactly the same. But when you click on the Terrain tab or “Metadata” panel, you will see hundreds of more objects and effects that you didn’t see before in CAW. Just click on some of them and you’ll see!
- To open SuperCAW, you must always click on WorldBuilderCS.exe from inside the C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create a World Tool folder. Otherwise, it will crash.
- Because there are so many things to load, SuperCAW will run slower than CAW. Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do about this except to take a deep breath whenever you want to do something.
- To make it easier to find objects in the “Metadata” panel, do a search for the object, spawner or effect that you’re looking for.
- You don’t always have to use SuperCAW to build your world. Only use it when you need to add something to your world that you can’t find in CAW.