Questions about annoying things that sims do in Sims 1.
I have this Sim that is a total pain in the fernisnay! I matched his or her signs perfectly with the other Sims and he can’t get along with anyone! What do I do?!
Oh, dear. Unfortunately, you have been stuck with what I endearingly call a “Difficult Sim.” A DS is one of those funny little quirks in the game (and by funny, I mean, totally aggravating), where for no reason at all a Sim that you made was generated with very few interests. Because of this problem, every time a sim talks to anyone, they get negative relationship points. I have no idea why this happens (if it’s planned, a bug or what), but when it happens, it’s very frustrating!
There are only really three solutions to this:
- If you catch this right away (and I mean, right after you’ve created your family and moved them into the house), redo the family in Make-a-Family.
- If you have Hot Date, send the annoying Sim to a store Downtown where he can buy a magazine that will boost his interests. Also in Hot Date, you can choose the “change topic” option while the Sim is tapping his foot impatiently as he’s conversing. (“Change topic” is a new option that comes with Hot Date allowing Sims to change the topic of conversation if it’s going poorly.)
- If you don’t have Hot Date and don’t want to do option #1, then deal with it. But trust me, it won’t be easy! With a Sim like this, you have to be very careful to avoid any type of social interaction where he will be talking with the others. This means: no TV watching (he’ll talk!), no group activities like chess (he’ll talk!), and no eating meals together (he’ll talk!). Before I got Hot Date, Bella Goth was the prototypical Difficult Sim. Within a Sim week, I managed to plunge her relationship to Morty from a 100 to a -50. I quickly learned that I had to have her eat meals by herself and keep conversations to a minimum.
Oh, but wait, you cry! You need to boost this Sim’s social! How on earth do you do that when you have to keep the conversations to a minimum? His social level will go down otherwise! Easy– only have the Difficult Sim initiate conversations, not the other way around. If your other Sims want to initiate conversation, cancel out the action and have your Difficult Sim start the conversation instead. Also, you can have the Sim participate in certain group activities where no talking happens, like watching a sim play piano.
I STILL have this Sim that is a total pain in the fernisnay! Why does she always seem to be crying and whining more than the other Sims about how lonely she is?
Uh oh! You did the worst thing you could have possibly done with your Sim when you made her personality, and that was make her very outgoing. (At least 7 bars.) Highly social sims are an absolute pain in the you know where, because they need constant attention. Unless you have them interacting on a consistent basis, their social motives plummet, and they become moody and lonely. They’re especially challenging if they live alone, or are in a family where they work a different shift than everyone else. So if you have a Sim like this, you have only two options:
- Deal with it.
If the Sim lives alone, make sure to have him or her do plenty of socializing. If the Sim has roomies, don’t do something crazy like give her a job that has an odd shift where she’ll be alone most of the time. If you don’t want to sacrifice a Sim’s career by having him work in a different job just to be home when everyone else is, then make sure there’s a neighbor that works the same shift as the Sim does, so she can invite him over when she’s home alone while everyone is off to work.
- Get EliSims
This is a program that will allow you to change the Sims’ personalities and make the annoying Sim less outgoing. It’s a lifesaver!
Why do all of my Sims keep crowding in the bathroom when one of them is in there, even though I have X amount of extra bathrooms?!
- One bathroom is nicer than the other ones
When you have a house with more than one bathroom, sims will automatically choose your most nicely decorated and furnished bathroom over the other ones. So if you want to clamp down on crowding, make sure each of your bathrooms are furnished with the same quality of objects. They don’t necessarily have to be the same decorations and furnishings– just objects that carry the same room score across all your bathrooms.
- One bathroom is cleaner than the other ones
If you have more than one bathroom, sims will also flock to the cleanest one. So to avoid the whole “flocking” problem, make sure you keep all of your bathrooms clean.
Why do my sims keep taking out a plate of canned beans whenever they prepare dinner, even though they have a working stove and food processor? It’s annoying, because this creates a big mess and takes longer to clean up!
Sims will always pull out the can of beans when you don’t have any available counter space for them to prepare meals. If you want to keep that from happening, make sure that you always have at least one available countertop or a counter with a food processor.